Sunday, March 30, 2008

hang on to your ego

after practice this morn i ate some food at Paper Moon. (warning -- flash based website that is crazed.) Then Peter came over. He and my bf Jes are working on a wonderful record of children's music together. I decided to uh, rest my eyes for a minute and ended up napping until about 6pm. Damn.

You know how sometimes you lie down, wanting to nap? But instead of napping, you THINK? Since I've started skating, most of my pre-sleep thoughts involve uh...skating. I'll lie there and visualize the techniques i'm having trouble with, and then come up with possible solutions about how to master them. There are pros and cons to this sort of brain activity.
  • Pros: it can be slightly more productive than enumerating the things that make you a sucky person
  • Cons: it makes you want to GO SKATE NOW NOW NOW. Actually, this probably is only a "con" if you're already wiped out and sore from practice earlier in the day.

So...I woke up and decided that after visualizing how to skate backwards for a couple hours, I should probably be a professional at it. I put my outdoor skates in my bag, hopped on the motorbike, and zoomed down to my work parking lot, which is pretty nice concrete.

Turns out that just visualizing does not in fact make you an expert. I am still having a lot of trouble with 1. switching from forward skating to backwards skating and 2. propelling myself while skating backwards.

I did skate around for about an hour though. When I got home, I was even more completely wiped and sore. Dunno if skating all out 2x a day is productive for me at this point.

1 comment:

Spencer Ackerman said...

FIRST ROLLARKID COMMENTUR! PS lyric headlines = biting someone's style